Ok, folks, the time has come: I think I am finally coming to terms with the fact that I now live in Texas. It’s been almost six months that we’ve lived in Dallas, and some Texan tendencies have been sneaking up on me: 1) I am no longer phased by the heat – I regularly go for 2 mile runs in 90 degree weather, and only draw the line if the temps are 100 or above. (?!?!?!?!!?) I would never have thought EVER in my life that I would be able to tolerate this kind of heat. 2) I have been finding myself on the verge of saying “ya’ll” on multiple occasions. I knew it was only a matter of time. If you think about it, it really does make a lot of sense! Most other languages have a “collective you” pronoun, so why does only a tiny part of the English speaking world have one? Lastly (I could see this one coming a mile away):
3) I. Love. Tex. Mex.
Seriously, though, what’s not to love? It’s all the best of Mexican food, slathered with a big glob of the good ole’ American Southwest: Fajitas, nachos, salsa verde, chili con carne, shredded cheese, tamales, guacamole, rice, beans…It’s all good. Just so good. (Fabio and I had our first Tex Mex experience at a restaurant called Mariano’s, which apparently invented the frozen margarita!)
One of the most beautiful things born from Tex Mex is a fine-tuned spice mix made with chili powder, garlic, cumin, and a bit of heat (cayenne or red pepper flakes). The “Tex” part of this spice mix is the addition of cumin, which isn’t super common in a lot of Mexican dishes. And you know what it’s freakin’ delicious on? Yup. Popcorn. Wanna know what else is freakin’ awesome? That you can pop popcorn in a PAPER BAG in the MICROWAVE. It rules. Easy. No cooking oil. One of my all time favorite snacks.
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 tablespoons salt
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon chipotle chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 3 tablespoons popcorn kernels
- Olive oil spray
- Brown paper bag
- Combine all spices in a small bowl.
- Pour the popcorn kernels in the paper bag and fold the top down a few times, but leave plenty of room for the popcorn to fill the bag.
- Microwave for about 2 minutes. Listen to the popping, and take out of microwave when pops are about 2 seconds apart.
- Pour popcorn into a large bowl. Spray liberally with olive oil, and sprinkle with Tex-Mex spice mix. Stir popcorn, spray again with olive oil, and sprinkle some more spice mix. Continue until all kernels are covered (to your liking). Alternatively, you can do this in a container with a lid, and shake popcorn with spice mix to coat (stopping to spray with more oil and add more spices as you go).
- Now turn on an episode of Dallas, kick off yer cowboy boots and enjoy! Makes about 4 cups.