I haven’t been this excited about a new recipe in a while, because of the way this one came about. It was dinnertime, I was starving, and I had come to terms with the fact that we had no groceries in the house. All I had in the fridge were some leftover roasted veggies, a jar of salsa, a couple of chicken breasts that I put in the fridge too soon after baking (you know how they get that awful taste when you chill them too soon after baking?), and some sweet potatoes.
THEN THE LIGHTBULB LIT UP OVER MY HEAD.
In an effort to not waste the chicken breast, I threw it in my Kitchenaid mixer to shred them. (If you haven’t tried this hack – you must.) Once I added some spices, they were not only edible, they were freakin’ delicious. In a flurry of my newfound inspiration, I threw in the container of leftover veggies, garlic, some sweet potato, and seasoned it all with good ole’ cumin, paprika, and chili powder. It was getting good, but was still a bit flat. You know when a dish just needs some sauce? I whipped open my fridge again and found a jar of salsa, chilling out way in the back. Why not? I threw it in the pan, let it heat through, and took a bite. The Easy Paleo Salsa Chicken Skillet was born.
What started as an old leftovers experiment has turned into a weekly staple in my dinner repertoire. Even when I recreate with fresh ingredients, it’s EASY, FAST, and so dang delicious, and it makes for great leftovers. The Circle of Life, if you will.
- 2 cups shredded chicken
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, diced
- 2 medium zucchini, sliced
- 1-2 cups mushrooms, sliced
- 1 14-oz. jar of your favorite salsa
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Heat olive oil in a LARGE pan (a wok, if you have one) over medium heat. Add sweet potato and onion to pan, cover, and saute about 10 minutes, or until potatoes are soft. Be sure to turn them periodically so they don't burn. (If you want to reduce cooking time, microwave potatoes for 2 minutes on high before dicing.) Season with salt and pepper.
- Add the zucchini, mushrooms, garlic, and 1 teaspoon each of the cumin, paprika, and chili powder, and saute another 10 minutes or so, until soft.
- Add the shredded chicken, remaining 1 teaspoon of cumin, paprika, and chili powder, and mix well. Add the jar of salsa and mix. Turn heat to low and cook just until heated through.