‘Tis the season, folks! The season of squash and soup. And also the season of Santa and presents, but I’m trying to contain my excitement for 4 more days by distracting myself with a soup recipe. It’s…..working…?
(SANTA!! I KNOW HIM!!)
I love creamy and smooth soups, but I often find myself wishing they had some more….substance. (That’s usually why I throw in some meatballs or a pile of leftover roasted veggies into them.) When I made this curried butternut squash soup with chicken AND vegetables….
The soup gets a nice, rich flavor from the roasted butternut squash, and gets even deeper with that nice curry powder. The chicken adds a good kick of protein, and the chopped veggies give it the texture it needs. See those little crackers in the corner? Those are my all times favorite Paleo crackers, called Jilz Crackerz. Omg. They are the best.
- 1 butternut squash, halved and seeded
- 3 chicken breasts
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2-3 large carrots, peeled and chopped
- 3-4 stalks celery, chopped
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2-3 Tablespoons curry powder
- Salt and pepper
- Olive oil
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Season insides of squash with salt and pepper and roast, flat side down, for about 35 minutes, or until tender (you can stick a knife through it).
- Rinse and pat dry the chicken breasts. Season with salt and pepper and lay on baking sheet lined with foil. Roast for about 20 minutes, turning once halfway. Remove from oven and set aside.
- In a large pan, heat about 1 tablespoon olive oil. Add the chopped onion, celery, and carrot. Sautee until fragrant and beginning to soften, about 5-6 minutes. Add curry powder and sautee for another minute. Set aside.
- Once the chicken is cool enough to handle, shred with two forks, or use a Kitchenaid mixer with the paddle attachment to shred chicken.
- In a large stockpot over medium heat, add the chicken broth. Scoop out the squash from the skin and add to the pot, stirring and breaking apart into little chunks. Season with salt and pepper. Using an immersion blender (or with a regular blender and working in batches), puree the squash in the stockpot until smooth. Add the sauteed vegetables and simmer on low heat until veggies are soft and cooked through (5-10 minutes).
- Add the shredded chicken. Taste for seasoning and serve hot!